Little Mix are no strangers to bold, empowering music videos — see “Power,” “Shout Out To My Ex,” and most of their other singles as proof — but the group’s latest one may be the best yet.
For “Woman Like Me” — the boss-minded Nicki Minaj collaboration released earlier this month — Jade, Jesy, Perrie, and Leigh-Anne mean-mug in the back of a van before romping around an opulent mansion. There, they turn into their most prim and proper selves while doing stereotypical “wifey” tasks: ironing a shirt, vacuuming, and pouring tea. But as the song goes on and the girls assert themselves as confident, “unconventional” women, they ditch the poshness and let loose, chowing down on cheeseburgers and generally giving zero fucks.
As for Nicki, the queen appears via a pristine painted portrait, rapping her verse while wearing a Victorian dress and a gold crown. Would you expect anything less?!
“Woman Like Me” is the lead single off Little Mix’s upcoming fifth album, LM5. The album arrives on November 16 and features tracks with similarly feminist-sounding titles like “Woman’s World,” “Joan of Arc,” and “Love a Girl Right.” Hopefully that means the group has more empowering videos on the way!
Don’t even try to “as if” this news, because Clueless is in the works for a makeover according to a report by Deadline.
But the good news and outfits don’t stop there. Paramount Pictures also apparently tapped Girls Trip writer Tracy Oliver to produce, with GLOW writer Marquita Robinson taking lead on the script. That’s, like, totally the most perfect comedy duo to give this girlhood classic a fresh new perm.
There’ve been no shortage of attempts to cash in on the nostalgia for Clueless in the past. Two years ago, plans for an Off-Broadway musical adaptation were announced, and on Oct. 8 this year, a premiere date was finally set for Dec. 11.
Not much else is known about the cinematic do-over, since development is in its earliest stages. It remains to be seen whether Alicia Silverstone, Paul Rudd, or the politically problematic Stacey Dash would return as the stars, or whether this would be a true remake.
Of course, the tragic death of Brittany Murphy would also be a huge wound to fill for a sequel that followed the original cast.
We know it’s early days, but if you ask us, the way to stay true to the original brilliance of Clueless would require going down the modern remake route. The movie remains a longstanding classic because of how it so successfully embellished, poked fun at, and celebrated the inaneness of youth culture.
In 1995, that meant showcasing low-rider jeans as the peak of male fashion, or pretending “whatever” (complete with the W hand gesture, of course) was an ultimate insult.
Instead of watching the adult aftermath of the former Clueless stars, it would be a dream to watch millennial youth culture get immortalized in similarly iconic ways. Would the new version of Cher be a beauty blogger? Would her outfit-choosing morning ritual involve a VR closet?
The possibilities to parody our modern zeitgeist are endless. And with such talent at the head of the project, we’re sure they’d take full advantage of the opportunity.
Snapchat’s poor Android app is still proving to be a major problem for the company.
The app lost users for the second straight quarter, with its daily active users declining by 2 million, and Snapchat’s lackluster Android app may be to blame.
“The decline was primarily among Android users,” CEO Evan Spiegel said in his prepared remarks during the company’s third-quarter earnings call.
It’s not the first time the Snapchat founder has specifically called out the company’s Android app on an earnings call. The company has been talking about improving Android for almost a year.
A new and improved Android app “rebuild,” known internally by its nickname “Mushroom,” has been promised for months. But the company has said little about the long-awaited update. App researcher Jane Manchun Wong uncovered a version of the new Android app back in August, but the app has yet to materialize publicly.
Snapchat’s new faster Android UI is underway. It’s generally smoother than the old one. Emoji brush is coming to the new UI for Android too! pic.twitter.com/wjGhM52Wmg
Though investors pushed Spiegel on when the app would be ready, the CEO remained cagey on a timeline.
“Quality takes time,” he said. “We want to make sure we have the right foundation…we’re going to wait until we get it right.”
The reason why investors are so anxious, of course, is because Snap had a second straight quarter of losing users, with its daily active users down to 186 million, compared with 188 million the previous quarter.
Image: snap
It’s a worrying trend for the company, which has also been battling an unpopular redesign that sank its DAUs last quarter.
But there were signs of good news for Snap, too. The company did better than expected on revenue, with $298 million in revenue, up 14 percent from last quarter and 43 percent from the same time last year.
The company also touted its original content in Discover, saying its new Snap Originals represent a big opportunity.
“I realized that because I didn’t have people’s information I needed to make it interesting enough so people would want to use the site and want to, like, put their information up.”
That’s the explanation a very young Mark Zuckerberg, clutching a beer-filled Solo cup in one hand, gave in response to a question about the social network’s beginnings.
Though perhaps not the most surprising thing Facebook’s founder has ever uttered, it’s an extremely telling statement that might make you question how you use Facebook. It’s also the opening scene from Frontline’s new investigation into the social network: The Facebook Dilemma.
The first of the two-part series airs tonight on PBS, but Frontline gave me the opportunity to watch an early version of the series’ first hour and it definitely sheds new light on the company and its many mistakes, even for seasoned Facebook observers.
After opening with some clips of a much younger (and much less guarded) Zuck, the documentary wastes no time in getting to the point. How did Facebook go from Zuckerberg’s dorm room project to the social media behemoth that’s routinely compared to a global “surveillance system?” And has the company’s mission to “connect the world” done more good than harm?
These questions aren’t necessarily easy to answer, and Frontline spent more than a year trying to get to the bottom of them with dozens of interviews with current and former employees, as well as other experts who have asked the same questions over the years.
I won’t spoil any of the details, some of which may be familiar to those who have followed the company closely for some time. What quickly becomes clear, though, is that Facebook — for all its talk about simply being too naive to anticipate the myriad of ways anyone could take advantage of it — is that there were people trying to raise the alarm throughout its history.
And, whether you’re team #deleteFacebook or not, it’s impossible to deny the colossal costs of its screw-ups.
The latest proposal reportedly includes four future first-round picks.
The haul would be the maximum allowable number of first-round picks in a trade based on NBA rules, which prevent picks to be traded in consecutive years. The potential deal would provide the Timberwolves with first-round picks in alternating seasons for seven years, which is the farthest out a draft pick could be dealt.
Butler is currently averaging 24.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and an NBA-best 3.8 steals per game in four appearances with the Minnesota Timberwolves this season.
The four-time All-Star has been on the block since putting in a trade request with his team in September. While the Miami Heat appeared to be a likely landing spot, a deal fell through at the last minute, per Wojnarowski.
Still, the Rockets were considered to be “aggressive” in seeking a deal at the time.
Stefano Fusaro of ESPN reported in early October that the Timberwolves wanted both Eric Gordon and P.J. Tucker in a deal for Butler, but the Rockets wouldn’t give up Tucker. It appears Houston would prefer to give up future assets rather than lose someone who can help the team contend this season.
Despite the Rockets’ slow start, the squad has high expectations this season after coming one game away from the NBA Finals a year ago. Reigning MVP James Harden will miss at least two games with a hamstring strain, but pairing him, Butler and Chris Paul gives the team several elite offensive weapons along with quite a few secondary options.
Considering Butler’s resume as a defensive player as well, he could potentially be the missing piece that helps the Rockets bring home a championship.
President Donald Trump’s moves on drug pricing have so far largely been overlooked by the public. | Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images
President Donald Trump tried Thursday to make good on a campaign vow to lower drug prices — attacking “foreign freeloaders” and proposing significant changes to how Medicare pays for many drugs. But his populist proposal didn’t appear likely to budge the national debate around health care, just days ahead of the midterm elections.
Early indications are that it won’t be an immediate game changer — it’s too wonky for Republicans playing defense in local races, it gave Democrats a fresh opportunity to slam the administration‘s attacks on patient protections and it won’t help most voters pay less for prescriptions at local pharmacies.
Story Continued Below
To date, Democrats have dominated the health care air wars, running hundreds of thousands of TV ads that hammer Trump and Republicans on their efforts to repeal Obamacare and strike down protections for patients with pre-existing conditions. As of last week, Democrats had an 18 point advantage among voters on health care compared to Republicans, according to a Washington Post/ABC News poll.
Determined to counter that messaging, the White House held a summit on Wednesday to celebrate its work combating the opioid crisis before orchestrating Trump’s speech on drug prices on Thursday.
But Trump’s attempt to strengthen Republicans’ messaging on health care may even have backfired, as Democrats quickly reminded voters that the GOP’s worked to weaken the Affordable Care Act’s patient protections. “Trump is promoting insurance policies that aren’t required to cover any prescription drugs,” said Andy Slavitt, who ran Medicare under President Barack Obama.
Trump’s moves on drug pricing have so far largely been overlooked by the public. Only about a quarter of adults had heard about a previous drug pricing plan Trump announced in May — and most who heard of it thought it wouldn’t help bring down prices, according a POLITICO-Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health poll.
Some analysts argued that Trump’s late October stumping on drug prices — a bipartisan source of frustration — gave the GOP a tool that could still prove to be useful. Seventy-one percent of respondents in Kaiser Family Foundation’s tracking poll say it’s “very important” for their votes, the top-ranked issue this year.
“We believe this is a politically shrewd move,” Rick Weissenstein of Cowen Washington Research Group wrote in a note to clients. “The timing, less than two weeks before the mid-term elections clearly gives him the high ground on a topic that is as populist as they come. It also puts the Dems on the defensive on an issue they have used to hammer Republicans for years.”
In a speech at his health department, Trump framed the plan — which goes against Republican orthodoxy on how to rein in drug costs and includes some measures that the GOP derided when the Obama administration proposed them — as a bold move to deliver on promises to lower U.S. drug prices, which are the highest in the world.
“Nobody’s had the courage to do it, or even wanted to do it,” Trump said, ignoring that his predecessor, Obama, proposed some similar reforms.
But Trump’s sweeping proposal mostly landed with a thud in Washington and on the campaign trail. The handful of Republicans to release statements issued mild remarks saying only they would take a look at it.
Under Trump’s plan, which POLITICO first reported, Medicare would benchmark some drug prices to the typically lower prices in nations like France and Germany, with a goal of lowering U.S. drug prices over time. Trump’s plan also would encourage more private sector negotiations between vendors and drugmakers as well as change incentives to encourage doctors to prescribe less expensive drugs.
For many Republicans, Trump’s plan was not only wonky but anathema to their belief in competition as the solution to high prices. It also barely registered. “It’s not even on our radar,” said one GOP staffer for a competitive Senate race. “There are other things we’re worried about here.”
Some GOP leaders also are angry that Trump would bypass Congress and use a pilot approach made possible by an Obamacare provision that many revile. The president is planning to use Medicare’s innovation center to accomplish his reforms — a vehicle criticized by Sen. Orrin Hatch, Rep. Greg Walden and even then-Rep. Tom Price, who attacked Obama in 2016 when he proposed a similar idea.
The Trump administration decided not to “presocialize” their new plan with Congress, HHS Secretary Alex Azar told reporters.
“I think a lot of Republicans are struggling to grasp that this could be real,” said Rodney Whitlock, who served as a GOP congressional aide and now works on drug pricing issues in the private sector. “Importing price controls are things Republican ideology would say, ‘this is inconceivable,’” he added.
Trump’s proposal was also too little, too late for many Democrats, who support many of the ideas but want to hammer the president on his Obamacare repeal efforts in the waning days of their campaigns.
“I introduced a bill to do what President Trump said he wanted during the campaign … and I met with the President in the Oval Office to seek his support,” said. Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the House Oversight Committee. “Instead, President Trump and congressional Republicans have spent the last two years sabotaging our health care system and targeting protections for people with pre-existing conditions.”
White House allies tried to rally support on Thursday afternoon.
“This administration’s top goal in health care is bringing down drug costs,” said Alex Campau, who served as a health care adviser to Trump before leaving the White House this summer. “They will continue to take big actions until patients see their costs come down.”
Sarah Karlin-Smith, Sarah Owermohle and Rachel Roubein contributed to this report.