Report: Mychal Kendricks Suspended Indefinitely by NFL for Insider Trading

Seattle Seahawks linebacker Mychal Kendricks (56) during an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

Rick Scuteri/Associated Press

The NFL suspended Seattle Seahawks linebacker Mychal Kendricks indefinitely for insider trading on Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Kendricks is out for the Seahawks “until further notice.” 

Kendricks pleaded guilty to insider trading charges on Sept. 6 after prosecutors presented evidence that showed he received tips from analyst  Damilare Sonoiki regarding the rising stock prices of four companies that netted him approximately $1.2 million. 

The 28-year-old is facing up to 25 years in jail. 

Despite Kendricks’ pending sentencing, which is scheduled for January, the Seahawks signed him to a one-year deal Sept. 13 in hopes of bolstering their linebacking corps. 

The former second-round pick racked up two sacks and 15 total tackles across his first three appearances in the Pacific Northwest. 

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2RkddUi
via IFTTT

Turkey court upholds life sentences for prominent journalists

Mehmet Altan was released from prison in June, but his sentence was also upheld on Tuesday [Reuters]
Mehmet Altan was released from prison in June, but his sentence was also upheld on Tuesday [Reuters]

A Turkish court has upheld life sentences for prominent journalists Ahmet Altan, Mehmet Altan, Nazli Ilicak and three others, on charges of aiding the plotters of a failed military coup in 2016, according to local media.

The journalists, who were originally sentenced in February, were previously sentenced to life in prison for alleged links to the network of US-based religious leader and businessman Fethullah Gulen, accused by Ankara of orchestrating the coup attempt.

They had appealed to the high court for their release, but Istanbul’s 2nd Appeal Court upheld their sentence on Tuesday.

Mehmet Altan was later released from prison in June, but his sentence was also upheld on Tuesday, after a penal court rejected the constitutional court’s request for his release.

All six are serving aggravated life sentences, which means they are not eligible for parole and cannot be included in future amnesty decisions.

The Turkish government has been carrying out purges and arrests that affected hundreds of thousands of people in the country after the 2016 coup attempt that killed more than 300 people, including the plotters, wounded hundreds of others. 

The government says the purges and detentions are legitimate, aiming at removing Gulen supporters from state institutions and other parts of society.

Local and international rights groups, as well as many of Turkey’s European allies, say the measures are arbitrary, claiming that the government is using the coup attempt as a pretext to silence opposition in the country. 

SOURCE: News agencies

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2P70Ut4
via IFTTT

Mueller ‘downsizing’ with departure of 2 prosecutors


Special counsel Robert Mueller

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s prosecution team is now down to 13 staffers. | Susan Walsh/AP Photo

Mueller Investigation

‘I think they wouldn’t be letting people go unless they’re winding down,’ said a Washington defense attorney working on the Russia probe.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team is shrinking by two in the wake of its successful prosecution of Paul Manafort and amid signs the Russia investigation may be nearing its final stages.

Brandon Van Grack and Kyle Freeny — government lawyers with key roles in bringing the case against the former Trump campaign chairman over tax evasion, bank fraud and failure to register as a foreign agent for his lobbying work in Ukraine — are going back to their prior posts at the Justice Department, according to Mueller spokesman Peter Carr.

Story Continued Below

Van Grack has already returned to DOJ’s National Security Division, while Freeny is ending her detail in mid-October and will return to the Criminal Division’s money laundering and asset recovery session.

With the two departures, the Mueller prosecution team is now down to 13 staffers involved in the core investigation into potential Trump campaign coordination with Russia during the 2016 presidential election, Carr said.

At its peak, the team consisted of 17 lawyers — not including Mueller.

The staffing changes come amid signs that the special counsel’s work has entered a critical phase. Manafort, who pleaded guilty last month to avoid a second criminal trial, met Monday with the Mueller team as part of his cooperation agreement. Several reports are also due in quick succession from Mueller or federal prosecutors after the midterm elections as they move to sentence Manafort, former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn and former Trump personal attorney Michael Cohen.

Separately, Mueller’s lawyers are still negotiating with the president’s lawyers for an interview with President Donald Trump.

Sizing up the situation, former FBI Director James Comey recently said it looks like the Mueller probe is in the “fourth quarter.”

A Washington defense attorney working on the Russia investigation said the latest moves suggest an end is in sight.

“They’re downsizing,” the lawyer said. “I think they wouldn’t be letting people go unless they’re winding down, especially the way these things work.”

Barbara McQuade, a former Obama-era U.S. attorney and law professor at the University of Michigan who has closely tracked Mueller’s work, said that while the staffers could theoretically be replaced, such a move would be unlikely “because knowledge and momentum would be lost by replacing prosecutors at this stage.”

Van Grack played a role on the Mueller trial team in the Virginia bank- and tax-fraud case. He also worked on the case that led to Flynn’s guilty plea last December over lying to the FBI about conversations with Russian officials. Van Grack will continue to represent Mueller on any specific pending matters assigned to him while he was on detail, Carr said.

Freeny, meantime, is leaving “because she has concluded her work here,” Carr said.

Two other junior-level Mueller prosecutors — Ryan Dickey and Brian Richardson — left the special counsel’s team earlier this summer.

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2RlC4qT
via IFTTT

The Avengers teamed up with March For Our Lives to create a PSA about their ‘first time’

In a new video full of double entendres, The Avengers: Infinity War stars share intimate details about their “first time” as the song “Feels Like the First Time” plays in the background. 

“I mean, I didn’t know how to do it,” says Mark Ruffalo, who plays Hulk in the Marvel Avengers series. 

To be clear, he’s talking about voting, not sex. 

If you keep watching, you’ll hear similar quips from other Marvel stars like Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Don Cheadle, and Chadwick Boseman. March For Our Lives activists David Hogg, Delaney Tarr, and Emma González, and actresses Zoë Kravitz (Big Little Lies) and Rosario Dawson (Luke Cage) also join in the fun.

SEE ALSO: How to register to vote in less than two minutes

The star-packed PSA was made by March For Our Lives in partnership with We Stand United, a campaign that works to ensure voter rights and access. The video is part of March for Our Lives’ effort to turn out young voters for the November midterm elections. 

According to Time, more than 800,000 people registered to vote on National Voter Registration Day, which took place on Sept. 25. That’s an improvement over 2016, when 771,321 people registered on the holiday. 

So, don’t be the odd one out and register to vote. It will take you less than two minutes to register— and you have no excuses now that you know the Black Panther is going to vote, too.

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2NjZgCy
via IFTTT

Truly enormous Bear 747 may be Fat Bear Week’s fattest bear

Welcome to Fat Bear Week at Mashable! Each fall, Katmai National Park holds a competition as Alaska’s brown bears finish fattening up for their long winter hibernation. This year, Mashable is getting in on the salmon-munching action. Check back with us all week as we follow the fat bear face-offs each day, and remember to get your votes in for each round. Happy fishing!


Over the course of just three hours in late June, ecologist Mike Fitz stood atop a bear viewing platform in Alaska’s Katmai National Park and watched Bear 747, a dominant male, consume 15 whole salmon. 

“That’s about 67,000 calories,” Fitz, a former Katmai ranger, said over email.

Fitz has now endorsed Bear 747 as Fat Bear Week’s fattest bear and believes the titanic animal — whose belly is nearly dragging on the ground — is likely to prove victorious in the Fat Bear Week bracket over such formidable contenders as Bear 480, a three-time champion.

Even nearly a month ago, 747 looked incredibly hefty.

We’re entering the last few weeks of weight gain before Fat Bear Week commences. Here’s a look at 747 (foreground) and 480 (background). Which bear seems to have gained the most weight so far this season? pic.twitter.com/OPNvS6VvB6

— Katmai National Park (@KatmaiNPS) September 8, 2018

It’s normal for bears to exhibit hyperphagia, or excessive hunger, during the summer months. 

This is almost certainly an advantageous adaption as brown bears must live off their stored body fat during the long winter famine.

But 747 has taken it to the extreme.

According to Fitz, who spent the summer in Katmai documenting bear activity, 747 arrived at the salmon-rich Brooks River on June 25, “and he never left for very long.”

Bear 747

Bear 747

Image: Bob Al-greene/Mashable

Most years, bears leave the Brooks River in August when the salmon run declines. But this year was starkly different. Many bears stayed to capitalize upon a consistently rich run of salmon — 747 included.

“Bear 747 is an adult male in the prime of his life,” noted Fitz on his blog. “First identified as a subadult bear in 2004, he’s matured into the largest bear I’ve ever seen.”

Katmai National Park did not immediately respond to inquiries about 747, and his reportedly exceptional girth. 

These fat bears, while an entertaining natural phenomenon, are illustrating their impressive survivalist abilities. And, it should be noted, they’re able to accomplish this in a protected wild land — a national park nearly untrammeled by development. 

The 2018 Fat Bear bracket.

The 2018 Fat Bear bracket.

Image: bob al-Greene/mashable

The forthcoming Fat Bear Week champion, however, is still far from decided. Watch for Mashable’s daily face-off announcements and results as the contest unfolds. 

Details about voting, which begins Wednesday, Oct. 3 on Katmai’s Facebook page, can be found here

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2xRYw2E
via IFTTT

Jon Gruden on Khalil Mack’s Play Since Raiders Trade: ‘Are You…Kidding Me?’

Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden speaks at a news conference after an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns in Oakland, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

Ben Margot/Associated Press

Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden has repeatedly defended trading Khalil Mack, but even he was impressed with the defensive end’s Week 4 stats.

“Damn—Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, per Michael Silver of NFL.com. “Are you…kidding me?”

Mack had a sack and a forced fumble in the Chicago Bears‘ 48-10 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, giving him five sacks and four forced fumbles in the first four games. 

The pass-rusher has stripped the ball once in each game this year. He also returned an interception for a touchdown in Week 1.

While Mack has been an elite player throughout his career—earning three Pro Bowl selections over the past three years with 36.5 total sacks—his play has been even better since his offseason trade to the Bears.

On the other hand, the Raiders are off to a 1-3 start and have just five sacks as a team, which is tied for the fewest in the NFL.

It’s clear Gruden misses Mack’s production, although he felt his hand was forced after the 27-year-old held out throughout the preseason.

“Obviously, Khalil Mack didn’t want to play here,” the coach said in September, per NFL on ESPN.

Based on what we have seen in 2018, the Raiders probably should have done a better job of convincing him to stay.

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2NiSZaj
via IFTTT

Trump engaged in tax fraud, dubious schemes in 1990s: NYT

Trump's lawyer said the report was inaccurate [Susan Walsh/AP Photo]
Trump’s lawyer said the report was inaccurate [Susan Walsh/AP Photo]

US President Donald Trump engaged in “dubious tax schemes”, including cases of fraud in which he and his siblings helped their parents dodge taxes, the New York Times reported on Tuesday, citing more than 200 tax returns it has obtained.

The Times investigation showed Trump received from his father’s real estate business the equivalent today of at least $413m, the newspaper reported, citing a “vast trove” of confidential tax return and financial records.

The newspaper also said, citing interviews and records, that Trump and his siblings set up a sham corporation to disguise millions of dollars in gifts from their parents. 

Charles Harder, Trump’s lawyer, told the Times its report was inaccurate.

The Times said its analysis drew on tax returns of Trump’s father, among other documents, but not Trump’s personal tax returns. 

More soon… 

SOURCE: News agencies

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2xWFyI2
via IFTTT

Get Ready For Taylor Swift’s First Awards Show Performance Of The Reputation Era



Getty Images

Later this week, Taylor Swift will pack up her flame launchers and giant inflatable snakes as she wraps up the North American leg of her massive Reputation tour. But before jetting off to Australia for the next installment, she’ll make a pit stop at the American Music Awards on October 9 to do something very, very bad.

The pop star announced Tuesday morning (October 2) that she’s opening the AMAs next week with a performance of the Reputation banger “I Did Something Bad.” She and her kitty/bestie Meredith broke the news in a cute video, with Swift quipping, “Don’t be too excited about it, my god,” as Meredith slunk away mid-announcement (Mer wanted “Getaway Car” as the next single, I guess).

Though “I Did Something Bad” was never a single, it’s an easy fan-favorite thanks to its warped vocals and venomous lyrics like, “If a man talks shit them I owe him nothing / I don’t regret it one bit ’cause he had it coming” and “They’re burning all the witches even if you aren’t one / So light me up.”

Even more exciting, this is Swift’s first awards show performance in almost three years, and her first of the infamously media-shy Reputation era. The last time she graced an awards show stage, believe it or not, was back in February 2016, when she opened the Grammys with “Out of the Woods.”

Besides performing at the AMAs, Swift is nominated in four categories, including Artist of the Year, alongside Ed Sheeran, Drake, Imagine Dragons, and Post Malone. The show airs on Tuesday, October 9 on ABC.

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2NgXEcL
via IFTTT

Iraq: Parliament elects Barham Salih as new president

Iraq: Parliament elects Barham Salih as new president
Salih is a former deputy prime minister of the Iraqi federal government [Reuters]

Iraq‘s lawmakers have elected veteran Kurdish politician Barham Salih as the country’s new president, the state television reports.

Barham is a former prime minister of the Kurdistan Regional Government of Iraqi Kurdistan and a former deputy prime minister of the Iraqi federal government.

Widely seen as a moderate, Salih was chosen on Tuesday after a dispute between the two main Kurdish parties delayed the vote, eventually forcing them to choose among 20 nominees.

Shia lawmaker Hamid al-Moussawi said the session was delayed because the Kurdistan Democratic Party and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan were unable to agree on a single candidate.

The new president will have 15 days to task the nominee of the largest parliamentary bloc with forming a new government.

Under an unofficial agreement dating back to the 2003 US-led invasion, Iraq’s presidency – a largely ceremonial role – is held by a Kurd, while the prime minister is Shia and the parliament speaker is Sunni.

SOURCE: News agencies

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2OuWDCn
via IFTTT

Gorgeous collectible ‘He-Man’ action figures are coming from Mondo

Mondo, the Austin-based boutique art house behind so many amazing limited edition pop culture posters (and an assortment of other collectibles), has a new line of toys incoming. He-Man toys.

If that fact alone isn’t enough to get your ’80s fandom radar screaming, here’s an extremely content-appropriate trailer.

Https%3a%2f%2fvdist.aws.mashable.com%2fcms%2f2018%2f10%2ff3a88270 9a54 4619%2fthumb%2f00001

For anyone who’s missing the joke here, this is riffing on an actual He-Man toy commercial from the 1980s. Those adults are there for a reason though; these toys aren’t necessarily for kids.

SEE ALSO: Light-hearted ‘Bumblebee’ trailer leans in on the wider Transformers universe

Mondo tends to deal primarily in high-end collectibles, and the first two releases in this new Masters of the Universe line reflect that: The He-Man figure is priced at $160 and the Mondo-exclusive He-Man — which includes a bonus, swappable Skeletor head — is priced at $165.

Pre-orders for both of these figures should be open soon if they aren’t already. Check out the figure below.

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo / danny reams

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: Mondo / Danny Reams

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo / danny reams

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo / danny reams

The 1/6-scale figure has more than 30 points of articulation, features fabric clothing, and comes with a whole mess of accessories, as you can see. The green Skeletor head in the image above is the only added piece that’s exclusive to the slightly pricier Mondo set. Both versions are otherwise the same.

He-Man is only the first action figure in the new toy line. Man-At-Arms, Mer-Man, and — of course — Skeletor are all confirmed. The Mondo-exclusive Skeletor head in the He-Man set actually goes with the upcoming Skeletor figure.

Here are some looks at concept art and prototypes for the future releases.

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: Mondo

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo / danny reams

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo / danny reams

He-Man: Masters of the Universe

Image: mondo / danny reams

Read More

from Daily Trends Hunter https://ift.tt/2ybJJir
via IFTTT